Monday, April 28, 2008

Achy Breaky Art: Disney VS Vanity Fair

Disney's golden ticket is in the news after taking risqué photographs for the upcoming issue of Vanity Fair. The photos were taken by Annie Leibovitz on a digital camera so that Miley's handlers could view every photo. Cyrus appears topless in the photos, with tousled hair and covering herself with a white bed sheet.

After controversy began to stir, Cyrus immediately released the following statement:

"I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed. "I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about.”

Vanity Fair released their version of the story:
"Miley's parents and/or minders were on the set all day. Since the photo was taken digitally, they saw it on the shoot and everyone thought it was a beautiful and natural portrait of Miley. In fact, when [Vanity Fair writer] Bruce Handy interviewed Miley, he asked her about the photo and she was very cheerful about it and thought it was perfectly fine.”

And finally, Disney's point of view:
"Unfortunately, as the article suggests, a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines."

Round 1: Disney 1, Vanity Fair 0

2 comments:

G. said...

If I rightly recall my days as a 15 year-old, this is hardly provocative

THE Captain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.